Monday, May 7, 2012

Mini Stuffed Bell Peppers

 I could not resist buying a little bag of these gems this past week! How adorable are these?! I had no idea what I was going to do with them. All I could think of was maybe making a mini version of my Turkey & Wild Rice Stuffed Peppers

But then I saw a recipe using these little peppers in the most recent issue of Cooking Light that looked amazing so I scanned my fridge for the ingredients and adapted this recipe using what I had. (and some extras! like bacon!)

They came out wonderful! We ate them as a side but these could totally be an appetizer too! 


Mini Stuffed Bell Peppers
recipe by Sabrina W. for eat.drink.and be merry.
adapted from Cooking Light Magazine
serves 4
8 Mini Bell Peppers
1/3 cup cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons sour cream or plain yogurt
2 green onions, white & green parts, thinly sliced
3 slices of bacon, diced
1/4 of a red onion, minced
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Prepare your mini bell peppers by slicing them lengthwise and scooping out all the seeds.

In a cast iron skillet, cook your chopped bacon until crispy. Remove your bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside in a small dish. Add your minced onion and sauté slowly over med-low heat until translucent. Add in your minced garlic and cook for one more minute. Set aside in the dish along with your bacon and let cool.

In a separate dish, mix together cream cheese, sour cream, green onions, cilantro, lemon juice, and lemon zest.

Grill your peppers in your cast iron skillet about 4 to 5 minutes each side. Transfer to a plate and let cool for 2 minutes. Mix your bacon-onion mixture into your cream cheese mixture. With a small spoon stuff your peppers and transfer them back into the skillet on low heat to warm through before serving. (about 3 minutes)








9 comments:

Katie|Epicurean Mom said...

Adorable! I've never seen mini bell peppers, too cute!

Colleen @ Culinary Colleen said...

These are adorable! I'm really a sucker for mini-anything.

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

I love mini things!! and these peppers look and sound amazing!!
Mary x

Yasmeen said...

Lovely! My fiance's parents have zillions of these peppers growing at their farm. I'd love to try this out with them!

Julia @The Roasted Root said...

I LOVE the little bell peppers! I tried them for the first time a couple of weeks ago and couldn't believe how amazing the flavor was...I've always been kind of so-so about bell peppers, but for some reason, I could eat the little ones like candy. Your recipe looks delicious! I pretty much love stuffed anything...Looking forward to trying this the next time I have the baby peppers!

Frank said...

What a great idea! I bet they'd taste great at room temperature as well, served as finger food...

Tiffany said...

This is totally my kind of app (sans bacon of course)!

Val said...

These are so adorable!!! I love it all.

Lo-mo said...

I am in love with these cute little gems! I love to snatch up the mini peppers when the store has them! Great job!

 

Design by: Designs by Jamie