Friday, October 14, 2011

Roasted Cauliflower and Asiago Soup

 I don't know about you but I always prefer a creamy soup! There's just something more to a chowder than there is to chicken noodle. And I have to say, I have NEVER been a fan of chicken noodle! ugh! I just can't handle the soggy noodles and vegetables. no thank you! 


Anywho...I love cauliflower because even though its pretty simple on its own, it's so versatile. And by pureeing it, you can hide it many dishes and use it as a substitute for heavy cream or milk. I have a great mac and cheese recipe that calls for a whole head of it and you would never know! This recipe has no milk or cream, you can add some if you so choose, but the great thing is you don't have to!


Roasted Cauliflower and Asiago Soup
recipe by Sabrina W. for eat.drink.and be merry.
serves 6 to 8
1 large head of cauliflower, stem and leaves removed and cut into little florets
1 medium onion, cut into 8 wedges
4 garlic cloves, kept in their skins
3 to 4 cups chicken stock (depending on how much cauliflower you have)
1 1/4 cup shredded asiago cheese
olive oil
1 tablespoon dried thyme
salt and pepper


Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.


Arrange cauliflower, onions, and garlic cloves on a sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and thyme.


Roast for 40-45 minutes, or until fork tender.


Remove the garlic cloves and set aside. Transfer roasted veggies with all their juices to a large pot. Carefully peel the garlic cloves and slide out roasted garlic into the pot. Add the chicken broth and puree with a hand blender until it reaches your desired consistency. 


Bring pot to a simmer on the stove and simmer for 10 minutes.  Add in 1 cup of the asiago cheese and stir. Save the rest to top the soup off.








16 comments:

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

I love the idea of this soup and especially pureeing and using it as cream - brilliant! I have a beautiful cauliflower in the fridge - so I'm all ready for this gorgeous soup!
Mary x

Cassie @ Bake Your Day said...

I am imagining the taste of the asiago with the cauliflower and my mouth is watering like crazy. What a great pairing!

foodie @ Tasting Spot said...

i really like your food pictures and want to invite you to try out tastingspot.com. it's for anyone that just wants another place to submit photos and share it will other foodies. It’s still in beta version, but would love for you to start adding some photos and help get it going.

Jacquelyn said...

Ok, I love cauliflower and creamy soups as well! Im not a broth soup girl either but i also dont like heavy creamy soups! Totally going to make this and post it on my blog! Thanks!

Anne said...

Hi Sabrina. I just love cauliflower and the idea of roasting it is fantastic. I'm definitely trying this one before it gets too hot for soup here in Australia.

Anne xx

Sue/the view from great island said...

This soup is right up my ally! The asiago is a great choice. Definitely on my chilly fall dinner menu now, thanks!

Shutterbug said...

I love that the soup is creamy, but it doesn't require heavy cream. And the recipe is so easy! I will have to make this sometime.

Aarthi said...

This looks delicious..Should try it some day...Thanks for the recipe dear.

Check out my Giveaway and join in that..
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/2011/10/3-reason-to-celebrate-3-cookbooks.html

Holly said...

I am all about soups lately! This one sounds great!!

Lindselicious said...

Oh I totally want to try this! I've never had cauliflower soup before this sounds amazing.

Lauren's Latest said...

I make a cauliflower soup but it's not nearly as yummy sounding as this!

Collette Osuna said...

Hello....I just saw your post at Bakeat350 and wanted to say hello...LOVE LOVE your blog...Im a vegetarian and see some pretty awesome recipes here....nice to meet you....Im a new follower:)


Statements in Fashion: A Funky Little Fashion Blog

Vicki Bensinger said...

My first thought when I saw this was that it was fattening. Who would have thought it was cauliflower? Now I'd love it if you shared that Mac n cheese recipe.

Sabrina-eat.drink.and be merry. said...

will do Vicki! I've been craving it lately!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} said...

All I can say.. is that I have to have this! Looks and sounds amazing!

Ranjani said...

Yum, looks so thick and creamy!

 

Design by: Designs by Jamie