Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Salted Caramel, Apple, and Cheese Danishes

 I can never decide which I like more: apple or cheese danishes. So I opted to make a combination of the two! And a winning combination it is! Especially when topped with the salted caramel sauce! These little pastries were amazing warm from the oven and smothered in the rich caramel sauce! I unfortunately only made 9 of them, but I've doubled the recipe here for future reference. I won't be making that mistake again!


Salted Caramel, Apple, and Cheese Danishes
recipe by Sabrina W. for eat.drink.and be merry.
makes 18 danishes
3 apples, peeled, cored and sliced thin
1/4 butter, at room temperature
4 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 sheets puff pastry, thawed 
1 egg plus 2 tablespoons water (egg wash)


for the salted caramel:
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons water
1/2 whipping cream
2 tablespoons butter
1/8 teaspoon salt


To make the danishes, preheat your oven to 400 degrees.


Mix together butter, cream cheese, flour, lemon juice, sugar, and vanilla and set aside.


On a floured, clean surface. Cut each thawed puff pastry dough into 9 even squares. You should end up with 18 squares total.


Brush each edge with egg wash and fold pastry an 1/8 of an inch in on each side to form an edge. Poke holes in each pastry with a fork and sprinkle with sugar.


Drop 1 teaspoonful of the cheese mixture and spread out evenly in tarts. I used my fingers here to spread it out, it was way easier than working with the spoon.


Arrange sliced apples on top of cheese mixture. Brush the edges with the egg wash and carefully transfer the pastries to a greased baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool in the pans.


To make the salted caramel, mix sugar and water in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Once the sugar clumps together to form small looking rocks, add in the cream, stirring constantly. At this point it looks as if you have ruined your caramel, but just keep stirring and the rocks with dissolve as the liquid bubbles. Once melted, add in the butter and salt. Drizzle over pastries and enjoy!

25 comments:

Kim Bee said...

Great recipe. I think whenever you can't decide you should always combine. I mean look at these things. Sheer perfections.

Happy When Not Hungry said...

Wow these look beautiful! I've never tried making danishes before, but def need to try now. Love those flavors too!

Susan said...

Wow, these look like they're from a bakery! They sound heavenly!

Shutterbug said...

This would also be delicious if you used cheddar cheese! yum! :D

Lindselicious said...

These look so good! And I love that you used puff pastry. (I dont have the time to make everything from scratch now days). YUM!!!

Wanna Be A Country Cleaver said...

What, up?! The best of a Sweet and Salty World!! Beautiful little pastries creatures! ~Megan

Chelsea said...

Oh my gosh, this sounds so amazing! And so different from the usual danish. Awesome.

momdecuisine said...

Great combination of flavors! My husband would love this one.

Duxa said...

Awesome combination of ingredients, they were beautiful, it would take for my breakfast ...;)
kisses.

nytesong said...

You got me at the Salted Caramel part. These look amazing!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray said...

Oh man, I love anything with salted caramel. These look awesome!

Fran Amenábar Ch. said...

Hi! nice to meet your blog and find a really tasty recipe.
Now I'm a follower. Greetings from Chile.

Sue/the view from great island said...

What a great combination of flavors. I was about to pass on by thinking it would be too complicated to make when I noticed you use frozen puff pastry. Fast and delicious, now I have to try them, I have no excuse.

S.V. said...

I would like to have one with my coffee right now. Looks super good.

Erin said...

These look like a perfect fall treat! The caramel drizzle has me drooling!

Aarthi said...

This recipe looks so good...You have made it perfect...Will surely try soon...Thanks for the recipe...

Aarthi
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

RavieNomNoms said...

This is so great! I love the combination you have going on here. I just made salted caramel brownies. I don't think there is much better than sweet and salt when it gets put together

Carolyn said...

Um, seriously? Can you pack more yummy goodness into these?

Lizzy said...

Apple and cheese would be my top two choices, too! Yours look amazing...look at the layers in the pastry!!! YUM!

Tiffany said...

What a great combo! And the salt totally takes it up a notch! :D

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

I don't think anyone can ask more than these!! Perfect with the salt and the sweet - lovely!
Mary

Stephanie D said...

This recipe looks so yummy BUT my family are not big apple fans….. do you think I could substitue fresh peaches? Work that work???

Sabrina-eat.drink.and be merry. said...

you could totally substitute peaches! Or any fruit for that matter. I think strawberries would be good!!!

Stephanie D said...

Awesome - I'm going to try this with peaches and I'll let you know. Might even try some with strawberries since I have both fruits in the fridge right now. :)

Ranjani said...

This combo looks and sounds amazing!

 

Design by: Designs by Jamie