Sunday, September 4, 2011

PB and J Muffins with Berry Compound Butter

This is a great recipe to get you into the back to school spirit! 


I really wasn't even planning that either. I was really just looking for something to make for breakfast yesterday morning. With bare cabinets and a bare fridge, I was surprised I was even able to make anything at all. 


I remembered watching an episode of Paula Deen during my lunch break and they were making these fabulous muffins with a sweet compound butter. 


I ALWAYS have peanut butter and jelly! 


I had to make a few changes to accommodate my barren fridge. I had no milk but had buttermilk from a birthday cake I made last week and I didn't have honey roasted peanuts so I had to make my own.  I almost didn't make the compound butter but I'm so glad I had enough butter to make it because It's totally worth it!


Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins
adapted recipe by Sabrina W. for eat.drink.and be merry.
original recipe by Paula Deen
makes 12 muffins or 6 large muffins

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon creamy peanut butter
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup thick jam, such as seedless raspberry
  • 1/3 cup peanuts
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 stick butter at room temperature
  • 1 tablespoon of your favorite berry preserves 

  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
    Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray or line with paper muffin cups.
    First make the compound butter: Mix together the 1 stick butter that is at room temperature and a tablespoon of your favorite berry preserves. Refrigerate.
    In a food processor, pulse peanuts, honey, and brown sugar a few times until they are chopped.
    Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. With electric beaters, mix in the peanut butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the buttermilk, egg, and butter and beat until combined. Gentle mix in jam with a spoon.
    Spoon mix into muffin pan and top with the chopped peanuts. Bake until the muffins are light golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer them to a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or allow to cool completely. Spread on compound butter.

29 comments:

Christine's Pantry said...

Looks wonderful! Mouthwatering! As Paula says... makes ya want to slap your mama. :-)

Erin said...

Gorgeous muffins, and the compound butter sounds perfect! Can't believe you threw this together with a bare kitchen!

Lizzy said...

Gorgeous muffins! And I love the idea of a berry butter...wonderful!!!

Beloved Green said...

This is the answer to the plain old peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Lovely!

Lindselicious said...

These sound delish Sabrina! I love the sound of the butter too. YUM!

Parsley Sage said...

Great kitchen Macgyver action! These muffins look delicious :)

Kim - Liv Life said...

I'm totally impressed with your creation! These little guys would most definitely be a hit in my house, and yes, that butter sounds pretty darn delish! Nicely done!

momdecuisine said...

Love it! Anything Paula is making is usually good. My PB&J obsessed kids would love this one. And the butter is beautiul!

something_good said...

Congrats on Top 9! Photos are amazing!

Asian-spice mix said...

congrat on top 9,,,these muffin sound YUM,,,especially the berry butter :)

Peggy said...

Oh wow - love these muffins! And I bet the compound butter totally makes these something special =)

Sandi said...

No kidding, this is great for back to school. Thanks!

Ana Helena said...

First time in your blog and I loved your recipes. Congratulations on your top 9 today!!!

Val said...

Yup, I officially need this in my life!!

Elyse @The Cultural Dish said...

This one has been bookmarked! I love the muffins and the butter sounds delicious!

Amy said...

These sounded wonderful without the butter but with it they sound absolutely amazing! Congrats on the top 9, well deserved :)!

The Café Sucré Farine said...

What a fun recipe for little and big kids! These look wonderful!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray said...

Looks delicious!

keila said...

YUMMO! My kids will love these. Can't wait to make them. Thanks for sharing!!

Ivy Bliss said...

I made these last night! Big hit! Thanks for the recipe! I'm going to write a blog today about it and link over to you!

~Ivy
www.ivygrowsinthekitchen.blogspot.com

Allison said...

This looks like a muffin that both my kids and myself can enjoy. The berry butter is such a nice way to top these.

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

Delicious!! think I'm going to bake these today for a treat for my kids!
Mary

Sabrina-eat.drink.and be merry. said...

Ya Ivy how exciting! Im so glad you enjoyed them so much to post it on your blog! I cant wait to check it out!

Thank you everyone for all your sweet comments!

Holly said...

These sound so good! Yum!

Maris (In Good Taste) said...

What a fun idea! These sound great and perfect for lunch boxes, on the go breakfast, etc.

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum said...

I love peanut butter and jelly combos. This looks great!

Aarthi said...

First time here…I am glad that I reached here...Straight away bookmarking your blog..This is a wow recipe....I love to have it with warm dinner rolls...Thanks for the recipe dear…Following your blog..
If you have time do check out my blog..
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

Aarthi

momdecuisine said...

Ok, I know I already commented on this one, but I'm still thinking about them! I also wanted to let you know that I passed along a blog award to you!
http://momdecuisine.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/mexi-monday-spicy-orange-churros/

cookies and cups said...

What a great recipe! I love the compound butter...but I am guessing these muffins would would be good either way!

 

Design by: Designs by Jamie