Thursday, August 25, 2011

Whoopie Pies

After our trip to Portland, where we sampled real Maine whoopie pies, my mom decided to dig out her recipe so we could enjoy them without the 2 hour drive.


My mom really knows how to make a good whoopie pie and I am so happy she decided to share this recipe with you! So if you're looking for an authentic recipe, look no further!


Whoopie Pies
recipe by Jackie S.
makes about 24 
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
5 tablespoons butter
1 cup milk
1 egg
5 tablespoons cocoa
2 cups flour

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Beat together sugar and butter, add egg and mix until combined. Sift together dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Add the flour mixture and milk and mix well. Drop on an un-greased cookie sheet by small tablespoons. Bake 5 to 7 minutes. Once cooled, transfer to a wire rack.



Filling:

1 1/2 cups butter
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1 1/2 cup marshmallow fluff
1/4 teaspoon salt 
2 teaspoons vanilla

Beat together ingredients until smooth. Pipe the mixture in between cooled cake patties or spread with a butter knife. Enjoy!


linked with: Sweets for a Saturday, Whipperberry

19 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

whoopies look fabulous yummy and soft

Erin said...

Wonderful! Loved them on our trip to Maine!

Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having said...

I've never actually had a whoopie pie. These look fantastic, I think I'll use your mom's recipe to try them!

Christine's Pantry said...

Looks wonderful! Love whoopie pies.

momdecuisine said...

Those look gooey and great! Thanks for sharing!

Ana Rita said...

They look so cute, and i would love to try one ...

Kisses
Rita

Elyse @The Cultural Dish said...

Whoopie pies are fantastic! My grandmother used to make them all the time... I should hound her about making them again! :)

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray said...

Never made whoopie pies! These look great, I'll have to try them!

Lizzy said...

Oh, I need to hide the screen from my kids and hubby! They LOVE these...and I use that same decadent filling. Mmmmmmmm.

Muriel Miller said...

I have never made whoopie pies before but so am going to now!!! These look so good Sabrina! Bookmarked!

hmariek said...

Very cute! They actually look fairly simple too (and moist and delicious of course). Great post!!

Beloved Green said...

One of my all time favorite desserts! Your mom is a rockstar :-)

The Farmers Wife said...

I love whoopie pies!! They are just adorable sweet little snacks. Yours look incredible! Love your recipe, buzzed ya!

Gloria said...

your whoopie pies look amazing!! gloria

Tina said...

Great job on these Sabrina-classic favorite. Buzz Buzz!

briarrose said...

Gorgeous. A great recipe for these treats.

nicole said...

I love getting whoopie pies when we visit Maine. These look really good. I like their size.

Jacquelyn said...

Hi Sabrina! Made these yesterday! They were awesome. My son rated them double thumbs up and double feet up. My daughter couldn't even stop to rate them as she devoured them. My frosting did not get as white as your photo, it tasted great, but I was wondering if maybe I should of added more fluff? Anyway, I'm going to post this recipe on my blog next week and I will link people to your site, of course! Thanks for a great recipe!

Jacquelyn said...

Hi Sabrina! Ok, I made these and posted them to my cooking blog today! I linked the recipe to you. Check it out at my blog http://marinmamacooks.blogspot.com/.

Cheers!

 

Design by: Designs by Jamie