Monday, August 1, 2011

Lemon-Tarragon Crab Spread

Here it is! My first dish out of Brook Dojny's cookbook, Dishing Up Maine.

I love creamy spreads, especially those enhanced with fresh ingredients like lemon and tarragon. Serving this light appetizer with cucumbers is the perfect way to start off a delicious summer meal. The crab I found wasn't as good as the bounty of it you would find in Maine, but check with your local seafood market for the freshest quality.

Lemon-Tarragon Crab Spread
yields 8 servings
recipe by Brooke Dojny for Dishing Up Maine
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup finely chopped scallions (about 2 scallions)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon (or 1 teaspoon dried)
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (from 1/2 medium lemon)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 pound fresh crabmeat, picked over to remove any shell or cartilage
salt
2 European cucumbers

Whisk together the mayonnaise, cream cheese, scallions, tarragon, lemon zest, and cayenne pepper in a large bowl until smooth.

Add the crab and stir with a large fork until well mixed. Season with the salt to taste. (You can make this up to 6 hours ahead and refrigerate) 

Score the cucumbers horizontally with a fork and slice about 1/4-inch thick. Spoon the crab mixture atop the cucumber slices, garnish with tarragon sprigs. OR place the crab mixture in a bowl and surround with cucumber slices (I added wheat crackers too) and let guests serve themselves.


19 comments:

Lindselicious said...

Sabrina- this looks so good! The lemon + creamy + Crab combo sounds super good. I grew eating all kinds of crab dips. I cant wait to try this one!!

Baking Serendipity said...

This is a perfect summer snack for the patio! I don't eat crab often, but paired with the lemon and tarragon sounds fantastic :)

Sandra said...

Really wonderfully done Sabrina! I love this combination..really tasty looking spread!

Happy When Not Hungry said...

This crab spread looks amazing! Fresh crab meat is amazing and the flavors in there sound delicious!

Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks said...

Wow! (That's all I've gotta say because that looks amazing!)

Sue/the view from great island said...

This sounds incredible. I make crab cakes a lot, and I think the lemon and tarragon would be good in them, too. Your photo makes me want to dig right in.

Tina said...

This is perfect for a summer party. I don't come across a dish like this this very often because fresh seafood is not plentiful in this area. However, if I did, I would not pass it up. Simply delicious!

Carolyn said...

Wow, that looks fantastic. Just so fresh and flavourful. Buzzed it!

Holly said...

My hubby LOVES crab! I will have to make this for him!! : )

Sandra Batista said...

Wowwww...amazing, very nice!!

Wanna Be A Country Cleaver said...

Um - where has this been all my life?!?!

Pam said...

Mmmm. This spread looks and sounds wonderful!

Nantucket Daffodil said...

Just found your blog and I am salivating. I think you are my new summer cookbook.

Also living here in Massachusetts...

Gloria said...

Sabrina I love crab and this look amazing!! gloria

tazie said...

Just found your site...It all looks so delish and delightful! You're a beautiful young woman 'wise beyond your years' in the kitchen...Kudos to you. Looking forward to trying your recipes.

Sabrina said...

thank you Tazie! I am having so much experimenting in the kitchen and consider myself still new at all of this!

Thank you for all your wonderful comments! They are wonderful to come home to after a crazy day at work! :)

Kelly @ Eat Yourself Skinny said...

What a great spread, this looks delicious!! :)

Susan said...

Looks & sounds delicious, Sabrina! I love tarragon, too.

Michelle O said...

My mouth is watering. I actually have some crab meat in the fridge. Now I just need tarragon. Great photos. Love your blog.

 

Design by: Designs by Jamie