Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Perfect Blueberry Lemon Scones

I love scones, and I have been searching for a good recipe for a while now. Every one I've tried seemed to have flopped and I've ended up with either dry and dense scones, or muffin and cake-like ones. Well I am happy to report that I have finally found the perfect scone recipe and I am THRILLED to share it with you!!! These scones are perfect! They are golden and crispy on the outside and perfectly moist and soft on the inside. The original recipe adds a sweet lemon glaze, which sounds delicious, but since I'd like to give them away, I wanted to include the lemon flavor right into the scone. So I added more sugar to the recipe and added lemon swirled right into the dough. They were sooo good, so thank you, thank you, thank you, Jaden from Steamy Kitchen for sharing these! They are great for a special breakfast or brunch, or they make a beautiful gift. I enjoyed mine fresh from the oven with a warm cup of Teavana's Earl Grey Creme tea.

Perfect Blueberry Lemon Scones
orginal recipe by Jaden Hair from Steamy Kitchen
adapted recipe by Sabrina W. for eat.drink.and be merry.
yields 12 scones
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
2 cups light sour cream
1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/3 cup lemon curd (I used a store bought version from Trader Joe's)


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.


Mix all the dry ingredients together. Cut in softened butter. Gently fold in the sour cream and vanilla. Fold in blueberries. Try not to over work the dough to keep the scones light and delicate. Gently add in the lemon curd, its ok if the lemon curd isn't completely mixed in. Scoop dough (about 1/2 cup) onto lightly greased cookie sheet and bake 30 minutes (depending on size) or until the tops are golden brown.

Linked with: Sweet Tooth Friday
                       Sweet Treats Thursday
                       Sweets for a Saturday
                       Sweet Indlugences Sundays
                       Food Pallete Series - Purple 

20 comments:

Ana Rita said...

I love a warm scone at breakfast...those looks wonderfull!

Kises,
Rita

The White Farmhouse said...

Those look and sound so yummy! I don't believe that I have ever had a scone. I've collected a few recipes but I think that I am going to give these a whirl when I take the plunge! Thanks for posting!

RavieNomNoms said...

It certainly does look perfect!! WOW! I am totally craving one of those right now!

Wilde in the Kitchen said...

A perfect scone is totally hard to find! Thanks for sharing your success!

Allison said...

Those pictures show how tender these scones are inside. They look perfect and such a great summer morning treat!

Holly said...

Oh I just love scones. Im loving the flavor combo in these ones! YUMMY!

Cassie @ Bake Your Day said...

Love this combination, perfect for a perfect scone!

elle marie said...

I'm new to your site, but I wanted to stop over and say hello! This scone really does look divine, and that Hawaiian Turkey burger..

Marina @ Yummy Mummy said...

Yum! I made some blueberry oat scones a couple of weekends ago and they were so so good. And surprisingly simple to make. Aren't they just so much better than using a mix? or from the store?!

Lindselicious said...

These look delish and even better it doesnt use cream! Therefore I declare it healthier. LOL Love love scones. I need to try these.

Lizzy said...

Oh, what delightful scones...I wish I could teleport one to my kitchen to enjoy with my morning tea. They look perfect :)

Erin said...

I haven't had scones in a long time, these look delicious! I am going to have to see about making them again soon!

cajunlicious said...

YUM! I am a blueberry lover, thanks for sharing!

Vardhini said...

Looks delicious and perfect .. love blueberries.

Vardhini
Event: Dish it Out - Spinach and Garlic
Event: Healthy Lunchbox Ideas - Broccoli

Elyse @The Cultural Dish said...

Mmm I miss scones so much! When I was in ireland staying at a farmhouse, the old woman living there would make these fresh every morning! So delicious.. I'll have to make these and bring back some memories! :)

Kim McCallie said...

Seeing these reminded me that I declared this year would be the year I learned to make scones. Sadly, that hasn't happened. These are gorgeous!! I love blueberries. I'd like to invite you to share your recipe on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/06/sweet-indulgences-sunday-9.html

Torviewtoronto said...

these scones look delicious first time in your yummy site
check out the event in my site food palette series purple

blkenigma888 said...

Hi! I'm having a linky party called A Themed Baker's Sunday and this weeks theme is Citrus! This includes: Lemon, Lime, Orange, Grapefruit!
Also, Enter to win my Free Giveaway!!!
http://cupcakeapothecary.blogspot.com/2011/06/themed-bakers-sunday-10.html
Alyssa

Katie said...

Yes, those certainly look perfect!

Torviewtoronto said...

thank you for linking this delicious looking scones

 

Design by: Designs by Jamie