Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Nutella Swirled Banana Bread

This is not your breakfast banana bread, this is more like your after dinner banana bread. Of course, there is no shame in enjoying this gooey, pudding-like bread for breakfast, if there is any left the next morning!

Once again I have found myself in the same boat, with a bowl of brown bananas on my table. So, with a brand new tub of nutella in my cupboard, I figured it was finally time to make this recipe that I had found a while ago on Barbara Bakes. I adapted the recipe a bit by omitting sour cream and using buttermilk instead since I had some left over from a birthday cake I made this past weekend. (recipe coming soon!!!) I also added more bananas so I could use up all the ones I had, and of course, I added more nutella.

It has been a while since I've had nutella, way to long actually! As soon as I opened the tub, something came over me and I grabbed the nearest thing I could to dip in it, which was a bag of Stacy's Pita Chips. This went on for a few minutes. I am hoping I'm not the only one out there who would react this way, but if I am, I just ask you not to judge me! : )

Nutella Swirled Banana Bread
original recipe by Barbarabakes.com
adapted recipe by Sabrina W. for eat.drink.and be merry.
2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups very ripe mashed bananas (I used about 4 smaller ones)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup nutella

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. 

Spray an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 3-inch loaf pan with non stick spray.

Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. In a larger bowl, beat butter and sugar until well blended. Add the eggs one at a time, then add the buttermilk, mashed bananas, and vanilla. Beat until well blended. Gradually add the flour a little at a time until well blended.

In another small bowl, heat nutella in the microwave for 20 seconds to soften. With a ladle, spoon 2 scoops of the banana bread mixture into your loaf pan. Add two small spoonfuls of nutella and repeat this process over again until mixture and nutella is used up. With a butter knife, swirl the mixture together with the nutella and bake in the oven for about 60 minutes. The bread will be done when a toothpick comes out clean. The bread may look underdone but it is really moist, especially with the nutella swirl so be careful not to over cook. 
Enjoy!!

Linked with,

22 comments:

Emily said...

I routinely make banana bread and top it with nutella. What a great idea just to put it into the bread. Will have to try this soon!

Val said...

This is simply divine...I made a candy bar banana bread last week but, yours looks far superior. YUM.

Lindselicious said...

AMAZING!! Love love the nutella swirl.

Muriel Miller said...

Oh my goodness Sabrina you had me at Nutella! This sounds soooooooooo good! I just recently discovered the goodness of nutella. I am so making this one. Bookmarked!

Happy When Not Hungry said...

This looks delicious! The Nutella and banana combo sounds fabulous!

yasmeen said...

i've racked my brain... i actually can't think of many things (if any) more soul satisfying than banana, nutella, and bread combined.

yum!

Ana Rita said...

Hum,hum,hum...
Yummy,yummy bread!

Kisses,
Rita

Belinda @zomppa said...

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to walk by this during breakfast. Or have enough left over for after dinner.

Lizzy said...

Wow, this takes banana bread to a whole new level...both beautiful and delicious!

Pam said...

I have still never tried nutella... this bread looks wonderful.

Chris's Gourmet Fashion said...

A lovely twist on banana bread. Love your use of nutella here.

Leslie said...

I cut my brown bananas up and throw them in the freezer. I alway have about 96 pounds in there! LOL
I love nutella and I love banana bread..so together I am sure this is amazing!
Oh and if you previously subscribed to my blog via an RSS feed. My feed address has changed. So if you have not been getting my current updates, you might want to re-subscribe.

Dulce Dough said...

I love this idea! In fact, I have ripe bananas in my freezer just waiting for this recipe!

The Farmers Wife said...

You had me at banana and nutella... Oh yeah babe! Looks fantastic! Wow!

briarrose said...

It's been too long since I've seen a Nutella recipe. This looks fabulous. I would totally have some for breakfast.....irresistible frech toast immediately comes to mind. ;)

Miz Helen said...

This is a fabulous Banana Bread that we would really enjoy. Thanks for sharing and have a great week end!
Miz Helen

Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

Ohhh, this sounds wonderful and sinful.

I'd like to invite you to share this recipe on my weekly link-up, Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there! http://alli-n-son.com/2011/06/09/key-lime-strawberry-shortcake/

Cami said...

I had some brown bananas I needed to use. I can't wait to try this! Yummy!

Tracey @ Kitchen Playground said...

Looks fabulous! I just made & posted about Chocolate Chip Banana Bread. Next time I have over-ripe bananas, this recipe & my jar of Nutella are coming out!!! Thank you for sharing.

Erin said...

Oh wow, this looks amazing! I might have to just eat this right away - snack, breakfast - whenever it gets made!

blkenigma888 said...

Hi!
I would love for you to come and link up at A Themed Baker’s Sunday, where this week is a sweet theme: Random! Yep, Whatever sweety deliciousness you made this week, you can post!
http://cupcakeapothecary.blogspot.com/2011/06/themed-bakers-sunday-9.html
Alyssa

Something Swanky Cupcakes and Desserts said...

There is NOTHING to change about this flavor combination! It's about as good as it gets!! I'd love for you to link up to my sweet treats party this weekend! Hope to see you there :)
Ashton
www.somethingswanky.com

 

Design by: Designs by Jamie