Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Chocolate Hazelnut Cake

Who doesn't love Chocolate and Hazelnut??!!

This cake tastes like one of those wonderful ferrero rocher candies! (It even has the smooth a creamy chocolate hazelnut center!) This recipe is perfect if you're looking to celebrate a special occasion or to satisfy another one of those nutella cravings!

This creation came together so easily! I used the devil's food cake recipe from my Peanut Butter Cup Cake, and added a little (or maybe a not so little) spoonful of nutella to the whipped cream recipe from my White Chocolate Almond Cream Cake. annnd then I had the fabulous idea to add a layer of straight nutella in the middle along with the whipped cream! It was the best idea I've had this week!

Chocolate Hazelnut Cake
recipe by Sabrina W. for eat.drink.and be merry.
Devil's Food Cake Recipe adapted from Shelly Kaldunski's book "Cupackes"  serves 8 to 10 people
Devils Food Cake
2 cup all-purpose flour 
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 stick butter, at room temperature
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup lukewarm water
1/2 cup buttermilk

For the cream
2 4oz containers of plain mascarpone cheese, brought to room temperature
1 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup nutella

1 1/2 cups nutella, to layer in between cakes
1 1/2 cups chopped hazelnuts, for garnish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a bowl. In another bowl, with an electric mixer on med-hi speed, beat the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until combined. Add the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with water and buttermilk, beating on low speed until just combined; scape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat on medium-high speed just until no traces of flour remain, about 30 seconds; do not overbeat.

Divide the batter evenly into 2 8inch round pans, that have been greased and floured. Bake for about 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

To make the cream, whip together cheese, sugar, vanilla, and heavy whipping cream with electric beaters until peaks form.  I chill a stainless steel bowl in the freezer so it whips faster. Add the nutella and beat until well blended.

Microwave the additional nutella for 30 seconds or until it is easy to spread not too loose where it will run off your cake. Spread evenly over the bottom layer of the cake and set in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes. Once the nutella layer sets, spread a layer of chocolate hazelnut whipped cream over it. Top with other cake layer and frost sides and top of cake with cream. Top with chopped hazelnuts. Feel free to pipe a design around the top and bottom sides of the cake, you will have more than enough cream to do so!


Enjoy!



























Linked with:
Sweet Tooth Friday

36 comments:

Lindselicious said...

Gorgeous! I love hazelnut and Forrero Rocher. So I know I would devour this cake.

Lazaro Cooks! said...

Fantastic cake. Love the presentation.

Tammy said...

Sabrina, what a fabulous post- I'm eating it with my eyes! :) I would love a slice (with some extra cream)!

xx,
Tammy

Tina @flourtrader said...

Hazelnuts are so underrated, you really do not see that many recipes including them. Pecans usually take the spotlight. This cake looks delicious and the 2 layer filling was a great idea. Especially the texture contrast of the airy whipped cream with the thicker nutella Thanks for sharing a tasty cake recipe with hazelnuts.

Carolyn said...

Chocolate and hazelnuts is one of my all time favourite flavour combos. In fact, when ordering my wedding cake (10 years ago!) I asked them to make it taste like a Ferrero Roche! So this cake is right up my alley, and it looks wonderful.

Jackie said...

OK Little Girl, with this spectacular creation, I have officially passed my 26 year Cake Crown on to you!!! Not only is your decorating fabulous, the cake was absolutely DELICIOUS!!!

GREAT JOB!!! Love, MOM

Parsley Sage said...

Yup, pretty genius idea. Perfect for your nutella fix :)

Amy said...

That looks so good! What part of the grocery store do you find marscapone cheese?

Amy @ A Little Nosh

Danie said...

I believe this is a sin....

Chocolate and Hazelnut, perfection!!!

Val said...

I hope you saved me a piece!! It looks AMAZING.

Sabrina said...

thanks for all of your sweet comments!

Amy - you can find mascarpone cheese in the gourmet cheese case at the deli. That's where I found mine.

Mom-hold on to your crown! I think I have a ways to go to reach your level of cake decorating, that's for sure!

Erin said...

This cake sounds amazing!! If you want to make it for my birthday - that would be awesome! January BTW :)

Susan Lindquist said...

I love looking at beautifully made cakes ... probably because I am usually a minimalist when it comes to 'pimping up' the cakes I make. This is gorgeous! Love hazelnuts, love Nutella, love chocolate ... a total winning combo!

Angie's Recipes said...

Sabrina, this is a rich and luscious chocolate cake! I love the nutella cream.

The Café Sucré Farine said...

Oh, my goodness! This is just beautiful and sounds incredible, I know this will be a crowd pleaser!

Chels said...

WOW! What a beautiful and tasty looking cake!! That looks almost to beautiful to eat!

Lizzy said...

Chocolate heaven! What a moist, decadent creation...just beautiful!

Cassie @ Bake Your Day said...

Perfect combination and it's so beautiful, I would be afraid to eat it!! :)

Jenn said...

Your cream filling sounds delicious!

Muriel Miller said...

Seriously would you mind sending me a slice? This looks so fancy and delicious!

Anne said...

Hi Sabrina! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and commenting on my Lemon Buttercream cupcakes. That's so kind. I'm going to try your chocolate hazelnut cake. It looks absolutely gorgeous!

Anne @ Domesblissity xx

Moogie said...

WOW.... super looking cake! I'm so glad I stopped by.

Something Swanky Cupcakes and Desserts said...

Oh man! Making this ASAP!! Thanks for linking up!
Ashton
www.somethingswanky.com

Kim McCallie said...

This cake is gorgeous! I love the way you've frosted it. I know it's got to be delicious, too. Thanks for sharing on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday

Wanna Be A Country Cleaver said...

Chocolate and Hazelnuts - the worlds most perfect combination. I die!! You have a new follower in me. Love to see your work on Tasty Kitchen too!! Gorgeous photos! ~Megan

Shirley said...

Chocolate with hazelnut... this sounds heavenly.

ladybehindthecurtain.com said...

What a beautiful cake!

Elisabeth said...

Such an incredible, amazing and decadent cake, that has me absolutely drooling! This is the kind of cake that I would certainly make for a special occasion.
The hazelnuts, the mascarpone, nutella, a heavenly addition to the frosting!
Thanks for sharing:D

Miz Helen said...

Hi Sabrina,
This is a beautiful cake that we would really enjoy. Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful day!
Miz Helen

Chef in Training said...

YUM! This sounds absolutely FABULOUS! Such a great combination! Thanks for sharing! I found your blog through a link party! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would follow me too! Also, I wanted to let you know that I am featuring this tomorrow on my blog for Mouth-Watering-Mondays! Be sure to come check it out and feel free to grab a button!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

Mercedes said...

This looks amazing! I love how many people are out there that make my obsession with Nutella seem completely normal!

samcynsedibleadventures said...

What a gorgeous and delicious looking cake.

steufel said...

Have to try this!

Aimee said...

Oh girl this looks heavenly. I am a big fan of chocolate and hazelnuts...have combined them several times successfully :)
I am bookmarking this cake for future baking days. Thanks for sharing!

Your newest follower,
Aimee
http://www.shugarysweets.com

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Whoa! What a decadent and delicious looking dessert! I love your beautiful pictures. I wanted to invite you to come over and share your recipe at These Chicks Cooked Recipe Spotlight today. Have a great day :)
Katie

khadija said...

What a lovely cake!!
I want to try this one this weekend.
I live in Europe so could you tell me how much mascarpone do I need in grams?

 

Design by: Designs by Jamie