Sunday, April 24, 2011

Vegan Coconut Cupcakes for Easter

Happy Easter Everyone!

This year we celebrated Easter with Eric's family; and since my mom's family was in Florida she came along as well.

A couple weeks ago I saw a recipe for Easter Egg Nest Cupcakes in my "Cupcakes" book by Shelly Kaldunski. They were so cute I thought I'd make them for Easter. Since there are many special diets in my husbands family, I thought I'd make them vegan to make sure they could be enjoyed by all.

My mom came over the night before to help me taste test and decorate them. They came out great! I couldn't believe how moist they turned out and the texture of the cupcake, frosting, and crunchy coconut was sooo good. It was acutally one of the best cupcakes I've tasted. As we know, I'm not a vegetarian or a vegan but I have a lot of respect for those that have made this committment. It really takes a lot of dedication and sacrifice. And it was fun taking on this challenge.

One note is that the eggs are unfortunately just for decoration if your vegan. They are whoppers! And I did use a yellow cake mix that was dairy free, egg free & nut free just to make life easier.

Vegan Coconut Cupcakes
yields 12 cupcakes
1 box Cherrybrook Kitchen Yellow Cake Mix (plus ingredients on the back of the box)
1/2 cup Earth Balance margarine, softened if its in sticks, not softened if its from the tub
4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup rice milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cups shredded coconut

Make cupcakes accordning to back of the box. Set aside and cool completely before icing and decorating.

Make the buttercream frosting by beating together the margarine, sugar, milk, and vanilla. Add more or less sugar according to your taste. Let refridgerate for 20 minutes to thicken.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spread out coconut on a baking sheet. Toast for about 8 to 11 minutes or until golden.

Ice the cupcakes with the frosting, sprinkle with toasted coconut, and arrange candy eggs on each. Refridgerate overnight and let come to room temperature before serving.




6 comments:

Krissy said...

These look wonderful. I'm not familiar with the cake mix you mentioned but one of my favorite coconut cakes happens to be vegan. I posted awhile back a recipe for vegan pineapple coconut cake...and was shocked at how moist. I'm sure your cupcakes were a hit. The little candy eggs look adorable atop the toasted coconut. Thanks for sharing.

Sabrina said...

I will have to check your recipe out Krissy! It sounds great! Thank you!

happywhennothungry.com said...

These are too cute!!! Love the coconut. Yum!

Tiffany said...

I love coconut! ... And love that these are vegan!

Kim Kelly said...

Sabrina, I've never actually made or even eaten a vegan cupcake, but these look so good that I think I might have to try. I've seen the cake mix at one of our local stores and will pick one up next time I see it. Nicely done! Sounds like you had a wonderful Easter!

Mély du Chaudron Pastel said...

They are cute :-)

 

Design by: Designs by Jamie