Monday, April 18, 2011

Slow-Cooked Beef & Bean Chili

As you know, there are millions and millions of chili recipes out there. So it really becomes impossible for me to decide on which recipe to make. Some are more chunky, some are really spicy, some have not so traditional ingredients like potatoes or corn, the list goes on and on! The truth is I want to make them all! But that would be again, impossible.

So, after asking friends, looking online and in books, and after a few failures, I settled on this creation. It's chunky, not so spicy, traditional but not so traditional, and super super easy as the slow cooker does most of the work!

I loved the idea of simmering the meat all day in beer and I think to add an even smokier flavor, next time I will add about 1 cup chopped chorizo. I also love how the addition of frozen sweet corn adds a sweetness to the chili.

So here is my version, enjoy!

Slow-Cooked Beef & Bean Chili
recipe by Sabrina W. for eat.drink.and be merry.
yields about 6-8 servings
1 package stew meat (about 1 1/2 lbs)
1 1/4 lbs ground beef
1 cup chopped chorizo (optional)
1 onion, diced
1-15 oz can fire roasted petite diced tomatoes
1-15 oz can black beans
1-15 oz can red kidney beans
1 small can diced green chilies
1 lb  frozen sweet corn
1 package your favorite chili seasonings
1 12oz bottle of beer (whatever you have on hand)
1-2 tablespoon flour, to thicken chili as needed
olive oil
salt
cheddar cheese, for garnish

Heat a medium skillet on med-hi heat and drizzle with olive oil. Season stew meat with salt and lightly brown all sides of meat. The inside should be rare. Remove stew meat and add to the crock pot. Brown ground beef and add to the crock pot. Add diced onion and chorizo. Drain the canned beans and chilies and add them along with the frozen corn and diced tomatoes (do not drain). Mix together and add the beer and seasonings. Mix together and set the crock pot to low. Cook for 6-8 hours. Stir occasionally and at the last hour, stir in flour if needed. Serve with shredded cheese, tortilla chips, and cornbread.


Linked with : Savannah's Savory Bites



12 comments:

Tammy said...

That looks absolutely fabulous, Sabrina! I really would love a helping...chili is a family favorit- I love chili nights in our house! Delicious post!

xx,
Tammy

hmariek said...

Perfect for a rainy, windy day!! Beer would be great in this chili like Merlot goes with my burger recipe :) I am super curious to try this, and see what unique flavors it brings out!

Val said...

This looks so warm and comforting....YUM

Mary said...

This really looks delicious. We are past chili weather here, but I'm saving your recipe for the fall. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Franklin said...

I love this. I would eat this on a cold rainy day. Cheers!

Beloved Green said...

Oh yum! I could have used this when mother nature confused herself and made it snow Monday even though it should be spring.

Sarah (Snippets of Thyme) said...

Thank you for following on "Snippets". Your chili looks delicious and is a staple in our family. I also noticed that potato and leek soup with bacon and it sure does look delicious.

Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} said...

Oh man - how did I miss this post? I LOVE chili!! This looks amazing!

Peggy said...

I've never tried making my chili with corn before, but that'll be the first thing I try when I go to make another batch! This sounds absolutely amazing!

Savannah McQueen said...

This looks delicious. The colors on your site are marvelous. Please consider adding this recipe to my blog hop. Thanks for adding me on TastyKitchen.
-Savannah www.hammocktracks.com

Savannah McQueen said...

I made this today for a meal at the beach next week. We are staying in a condo for 7 days and I wanted some fast meals. I made this and then I'll freeze it...tasted delicious. Thanks!

Savannah McQueen said...

Thanks for attending my link party. Make sure and return this weekend to vote for your favorite recipe. The recipe with the most votes will be guest featured on Monday. -Savannah

 

Design by: Designs by Jamie