Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Potato and Leek Soup with Bacon

I have always wanted to try Potato Leek soup so when I saw this recipe in the last Food Network Magazine, I new I had to try it! It was soooo good!! And really really easy and quick to make-which I love! The soup was nice and creamy, and the croutons reminded me of the ones they serve at Panera Bread!

I tweeked the recipe a little bit, by using Yukon gold potatoes instead of russet and added shredded parmesan cheese to the croutons. I also found this great rosemary and olive oil crusty bread at the store so I used it instead of plain. The soup was ready to serve in 30 minutes! I will definitely be making it again!

Potato Leek Soup with Bacon
recipe by Food Network Magazine
adapted recipe by Sabrina W. for eat.drink.and be merry.
yields 4 servings
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cups crusty bread of your choice, cubed
4 slices bacon, chopped
2 large leeks, white and light green parts only, halved and then thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
4-5 small to medium yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
salt & pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cup frozen peas (do not thaw)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. To make the croutons, melt 1 tablespoon butter in a medium size bowl and toss in the bread cubes. Spread on a baking sheet and sprinkle with paprika and cheese. Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large stock pot over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate. Add the remaining butter, then add the leeks and garlic. (leeks can contain a lot of dirt between their layers, so it may help to half them and soak them in cold water for a few minutes to make sure they are thoroughly washed.) Cover and cook about 5 minutes. Add the broth, 2 cups water, the potatoes and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper; cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, partially covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.

Puree half the soup in a blender or with a hand blender. If using a blender, remove the filler cap to let the steam out. Then return it to the pot. Add the cream and bring to a simmer. Add the peas and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve with croutons and chopped bacon.

12 comments:

Chris's Gourmet Fashion said...

I love potato and leek soup ... your version looks terrific ... love the croutons

The White Farmhouse said...

This is one of my favorite soups. I just love leeks! I will have to try it with the croutons. I never thought of that. I also add some sour cream to mine. I will definitely be trying yours out!

therealnutritionist said...

I LOVE potato and leek soup. Especially with bacon? Yum. The croutons look TO DIE FOR.

Kate said...

Great pictures! This looks delicious!

Ellie said...

I just recently became addicted to leaks. This looks and sounds wonderful. I will definetly have to give it a whirl!!! Thanks :)

Beloved Green said...

Potato and leek soup is amazing. Add in bacon and you just reached AWESOMENESS level :-)

Pip & Ebby said...

I saw this in the recent FN magazine, as well, and also was intrigued by it. Now I'm even more intrigued. I love leeks!

The Mom Chef said...

So there are peas swimming around in there? That would be a nice sweet bite to contrast the garlic and leek. How wonderful. The photos of the soup are fantastic!

Kelly said...

Mmm my boyfriend would LOVE me if I made this for him, sounds fantastic!

happywhennothungry.com said...

This soup looks awesome! Love the addition of the bacon. So tasty!

Lindselicious said...

Omg that looks so good with the bacon and croutons that you added in!!

Barefeet In The Kitchen said...

This soup looks great. I have leeks in the garden that are almost ready to harvest. I'm printing this recipe to use soon! Thanks.

 

Design by: Designs by Jamie