Thursday, April 7, 2011

Cranberry Coconut Granola

I never realized how easy it was to make your own granola, and really I never thought about making it myself. There are so many wonderful varieties out there that I always bought them already prepared. But one day I was wondering what to do with the very large bag of sliced almonds that I had in my freezer and I thought maybe I'd give granola a try. I had other baking ingredients I had to use up too so instead of making cookies or muffins, I thought I would try something healthy.

Let me tell you the smell of the granola baking in the oven alone is worth making it yourself. My whole apartment smelt all warm and cinnamon-y! annnd it only took 20 minutes! really!

I also never had granola warm. It's heavenly! especially when paired with honey flavored chobani yogurt! I will always warm it up from now on.

Cranberry Coconut Granola
yields about 10 cups
recipe by Sabrina W. for eat.drink.and be merry.
4 cups rolled oats
2 cups sliced almonds
2 cups shredded coconut
1 1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Spray a large rectangle cake pan with cooking spray.

Mix together oats, almonds, coconut, cranberries, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Pour in oil and honey and stir until everything is coated. Add the extracts and stir together. Spread mixture in pan and sprinkle evenly with brown sugar. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.

You can also mix everything together in the baking pan if it's easier. Enjoy!!

10 comments:

Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} said...

Oh man - making granola is addicting! You'll be making it all the time now!! lol ♥- Katrina

happywhennothungry.com said...

I love homemade granola! Love all the flavors in yours too!

Maggie @ Vittles and Bits said...

Homemade granola is the best! I will defintely have to try putting the coconut in, that's a great idea... looks delicious!

Tammy said...

Love, love, love granola! This looks so good- it would make for a great cereal! YUM :)

xx,
Tammy

*kimmie* said...

I love homemade granola - cranberry and coconut sounds like a lovely combination!

Duxa said...

Hi,looks delicious,i love homemade granola!
Kisses;)

Ana Rita said...

I must try doing my granolla, cause i love the homemade recipes...yours is wonderfull!

Kisses
Rita

Beloved Green said...

I am such a huge fan of granola in any form. In yogurt, on its own, on top of salads. I could eat it all day, and with awesome recipes like this I can add some variety to my granola addiction.

Sandra said...

Fantastic recipe, and what a wonderful photo!Love your post!!

Lizzy said...

Oh, wow, this version of granola looks super! I want to dive right in!!

 

Design by: Designs by Jamie