Sunday, April 17, 2011

Chicken Salad with Cranberries, Apples, & Walnuts

There is just something about the weather getting warmer that gets me excited about picnics! My chicken salad recipe is perfect for a packed lunch to go. I have brought it with me to the beach many times!

I have always loved my mom's Waldorf Salad recipe. So one day I asked her what was in it and I thought it would be perfect with chicken. I love the sweet and savory flavors of the apples & cranberries coated in the spices. I also substituted the traditional mayonnaise with greek yogurt to make it healthier. I couldn't tell the difference.

Chicken Salad with Cranberries, Apples, & Walnuts
recipe by Sabrina W. for eat.drink.and be merry.
yields 4 servings
3 medium chicken breasts, (or 4 cups leftover shredded chicken)
1 McIntosh apple, peeled and diced small and sprinkled with lemon juice
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup plain greek yogurt (or mayonnaise) 
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon sugar (I usually sprinkle in about 3 pinches) 
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
salt & pepper to your taste

Boil chicken until cooked through, about 15 minutes. Once cooled, shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces.

In a large bowl, mix shredded chicken, diced apple, cranberries, & walnuts. In a separate small bowl, combine yogurt and spices. You may like to adjust spices to your taste. Pour yogurt mixture in with chicken and toss. Refrigerate up to 30 minutes to allow flavors to marry. 

18 comments:

Chris's Gourmet Fashion said...

Love the combination of apples, cranberries and walnuts with the chicken. Sounds like a great picnic food ... great to take with you on a day hike.

Sandra said...

What a great combo..Love the way this chicken salad sounds! Thanks for Sharing!!!

Our Eyes Eat First said...

love the combo of the fruit and nuts with the chicken! sooo delish!

Ana Rita said...

HUMMMMMM...Great combination Sabrina!!Fruit and chicken goes always perfectly!

Kisses,
Rita

The White Farmhouse said...

This sounds great! I make one with grapes and apples that the kids just love. You should try yogurt instead of mayo in tuna salad. Yummy! Whenever I can, I sub yogurt. No one is the wiser but my kids can tell a bit of a difference. They like the yogurt version better though.

Carolyn said...

Great chicken salad combo, sounds wonderful! I'm looking forward to summer too.

Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} said...

I agree! So excited to be eating yummy picnic food in warm weather again! This looks yummy!

Kate said...

Yum! This looks great! I love chicken salad with apples, cranberries and walnuts. Yours looks awesome! Definitely will need to bookmark this :-)

jsimoes said...

Love the Greek yogurt idea! You know how I hate mayo. Going to try that in the waldorf salad recipe.

hmariek said...

This is perfect for a beach picnic!!! I love the different spices you have included, I can't wait to try it!!

Belinda said...

Ooo!! My kind of sandwich! Love all the flavors here.

Lizzy said...

Mmmmm...this looks fabulous! I love my salads just like this :)

Kathleen said...

Wow! What a yummy combo!

Pam said...

I love the combination of ingredients... now I am craving a chicken salad sandwich for lunch.

Kelly said...

This looks great!

Wilde in the Kitchen said...

I am a huge fan of chicken salad and this one looks delicious. I'm so ready for picnics!

briarrose said...

Yum....great way to make a healthier version.

Kimberly said...

Yummy!! Love it!

 

Design by: Designs by Jamie