Monday, March 7, 2011

Turkey & Wild Rice Stuffed Peppers

I saw this recipe in the Clean Eating July/August 2009 issue. This was my first Clean Eating magazine and I remember reading it cover to cover several times.  I have always loved stuffed peppers and when I saw this recipe I couldn't wait to try it. I love it when they take a traditional dish and "clean" it up. Here they use ground turkey, wild rice, onions, & grape tomatoes. I tweeked this recipe a little by adding more grape tomatoes, substituting tomato sauce for tomato juice, and adding a pinch of allspice.  It's a wonderful and easy recipe I have made several times since then.

Turkey & Wild Rice Stuffed Peppers
original recipe by Clean Eating Magazine
adapted reciped by Sabrina W. for eat.drink.and be merry.
yields 4 servings*
1/2 cup wild rice
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cups onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon Italian seasonings
pepper
1/2 teaspoon allspice
20 grape tomatoes, halved
4 assorted medium sweet bell peppers (red, orange, and yellow)
2 oz part-skim mozzarella

* I find that I end up with a little extra of the stuffing mix. I freeze it and save it for a quick dinner later on, but it could make 6 instead of 4 servings.

Bring rice and 2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan over med-hi heat. Reduce heat to medium, cover and continue to boil for 25 minutes. ( I used Trader Joe's wild rice that was pre-cooked and skipped this step)

Meanwhile, add oil to a large saute pan over med-hi heat. Saute onions for 2 minutes, then add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add turkey, tomato sauce, and Italian seasonings. Cook until turkey is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and sprinkle with black pepper and allspice. Cook covered for 5 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Fill a large pot half-full with water and bring to a boil. Cut peppers in half and remove seeds with a pairing knife. Add peppers to boiling water and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove bell peppers and dry on a paper towel.

Drain rice and add it to turkey mixture. In a glass dish, arrange peppers and stuff with turkey and rice mixture. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and bake for 15 minutes.



18 comments:

hmariek said...

This looks so delicious and healthy! I have been wanting to experiment with stuffed peppers (as I bought a Costco pack) Thanks for the recipe!

Ana Rita said...

I'm used to stuff tomatoes because peppers are not welcome ...but yours are looking so good!!!!

Kisses,
Rita

Carolyn said...

These look delicious! I love wild rice, I love the nutty flavour of it and I can imagine how good it would be in stuffed peppers.

ravienomnoms said...

YUM! Oh how I adore stuffed peppers, they are such a great meal and SO easy to make. There are so many different things you can put in them too! Thanks for sharing your recipe

Karen said...

Stuffed peppers are so good, and these look fantastic! Great photos, too.

Kimberly said...

Oh I love stuffed peppers... Those look SO good! Just beautiful!

Diethood.com said...

Delicious stuffing! I love the turkey with rice combo.

happywhennothungry.com said...

These stuffed peppers look amazing! I love your photos too!

whatsfordinner-acrossstatelines said...

We loved stuffed peppers, try and have them at least once a month. Love the wild rice. Good combo.
-Gina-

Manuela said...

Yum! These look delicious! I love stuffed peppers and this stuffing sounds great!!! Manu (manu's menu)

Sandra said...

Ohhh this is so beautiful and delicious! Love your photos too..Nice and healthy recipe!

Firefly@fireflyblog.org said...

Love the colors and how healthy it is I always need more healthy colorful recipes :)

Peggy said...

I love stuffed peppers! This sounds like a great version and I just love the vibrance and color of your dish!

foodobsessed.ca said...

Wow, those look amazingly good. Very nicely captured too! Superb!

Debbie B. said...

The stuffed peppers look great! :)

Katrina said...

Bookmarked! I'm totally going to make this!!! ♥- Katrina

Leslie said...

what a delicious fresh recipe! My Mom used to make stuffed peppers all the time when I was a kid! yum

Cheryl and Adam said...

We've used turkey to replace beef or lamb in a lot of dishes over the years and it is just a s delicious and satisfying. This looks fabulous!

 

Design by: Designs by Jamie