Monday, March 28, 2011

Spinach & Mushroom Stuffed Shells



Growing up, stuffed shells were always one of my favorites. Now that I am older, and am a little more health conscious, I thought I would make a grown-up version of this dish by adding sauteed spinach and mushrooms. I like to make things a little more healthy and balanced when I can.






Spinach & Mushroom Stuffed Shells
recipe by Sabrina W. for eat.drink.and be merry.
yields 4 to 6 servings
1 package jumbo shells
1 15 oz container ricotta cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 10 oz package frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 10 oz package of baby bella mushrooms, sliced
2 eggs, beaten
salt & pepper
olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
sprinkle of nutmeg
2 cups of roasted red pepper marinara 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cook pasta shells until al dente. Let cool a little so they are easy to handle. Heat olive oil in a skillet on med-hi heat and add mushrooms. Sprinkle with thyme, and saute for about 5 to 7 minutes.

Mix together, ricotta, eggs, 3/4 cup of each of the shredded cheeses, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Fold in mushrooms and spinach.

In a large baking dish, pour half of the sauce on the bottom. Stuff each shell with a heaping tablespoon of filling and place in dish. Pour the rest of the sauce over shells and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Baked in the oven for 30 minutes.


17 comments:

happywhennothungry.com said...

I love stuffed shells and these guys look delicious!

The White Farmhouse said...

Mmmm.... spinach, mushrooms and cheese! My 3 favorite food groups! I love stuffed shells. These look fabulous too!

Duxa said...

This is a great meal, love it!
Have a nice day, hugs;)

Ana Rita said...

Hummm Sabrina,

this dish has a great look!!!
Loved it!!

Kisses,
Rita

Susan Lindquist said...

What a great pasta fix ... aren't shells just the best? Your photo is really appealing too! Sucked me right in!

Sandra said...

Yummy yum!!! Looks fabulous and sooooo tasty!!!! Delicious!!

Wilde in the Kitchen said...

I love stuffed shells and these look so healthy and full of flavor! Great take on a classeic!

Chris's Gourmet Fashion said...

Pasta with ricotta and spinach is one of my favorites too! Looks delicious.

Kim Kelly said...

One of my favorite dishes!! I haven't made it yet this winter season, I guess I'd better get with it. I love the grown up version that you have here, and have never thought to use the nutmeg. Brilliant!

SlipperCityCakes said...

Mmm I loved stuffed shells! Nice change of pace from using ricotta. Your shells look so delicious in your photos!

Belinda said...

I haven't had stuffed shells in years! Going to have to make up for lost time.

Leslie said...

Stuffed shells...YUM. I know my weird kids wont eat them. grrrrrr
But I adore them

potandkettlecookbook said...

Mmmm... I love stuffed shells. Good cold weather food!

Lizzy said...

LOVE these! I've never added mushrooms, but I will now :)

Pip and Ebby said...

You're making me hungry for pasta at 7:43am!

Beloved Green said...

These look just scrumptious!

Mély du Chaudron Pastel said...

I love pasta !
This recipe looks simply marvelous !

 

Design by: Designs by Jamie