Sunday, March 6, 2011

Poached Eggs over an Heirloom Tomato Salad

I am a huge fan of breakfast and especially poached eggs! On our honeymoon, I ate poached eggs for breakfast everyday! I had them once over grilled salmon, twice as a traditional eggs benedict, once with fresh sauteed spinach, and a few times over fresh sliced tomato and toast. It was wonderful!

So when I decided to make breakfast this morning, what do you think came to mind?

I picked up a carton of the most beautiful mini heirloom tomatoes at trader joes yesterday. I plan on using them in a salad later on in the week, but this morning I just couldn't help myself from dicing some up and serving them on toast underneath a nice and runny poached egg.

I paired them with fresh basil and a little balsamic vinaigrette to make a quick fresh salad. I them decided to top the whole thing off with some extra crispy applewood smoked bacon. It was the perfect start to my day!

Poached Eggs over an Heirloom Tomato Salad
recipe by Sabrina W. for eat.drink.and be merry.
yields 2 servings
2 eggs
2 slices of crusty bread, (I use Trader Joe's Tuscan Pane)
2 slices applewood smoked bacon
3/4 cup of mini heirloom tomatoes, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
1 tablespoon balsamic vinaigrette
pepper

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Place the bacon on a lined baking sheet and bake for 5 to 10 minutes, depending on how crispy you'd like your bacon. Transfer to a papertowl to absorb some of the grease. When they have cooled a little, break up into small pieces.

In a small bowl, mix together tomatoes, basil, and vinaigrette. Let sit on counter to marinate while your cooking.

To poach the eggs, I use metal rings in a saute pan. I have tried many ways and they have resulted in either a complete waste of a carton of eggs to explosions in my microwave! I find this to be the easiest way. If you don't have metal rings, you can do this same process with ramekins. Just make sure the water gets into the ramekins. I take a large skillet with tall sides and fill it just up to the top of the metal rings. I take the rings out (I use them at first just to measure how much water I need) and bring the water to a boil. I then adjust the heat to low and put the metal rings in the pan. I crack each egg, one at a time into a ramekin or small bowl. Then I carefully drop the egg into the metal ring. Cover and simmer for about 4 minutes. When done, I remove the rings with tongs, and then remove the eggs with a slotted spoon.

While the eggs are poaching, toast your bread. Take your toast and top with tomato salad. Once the eggs are done, immediately place them on top of toast and tomatoes, sprinkle with pepper, and top with bacon crumbles. Break the yolk with your fork and enjoy!

23 comments:

Kim Kelly said...

Believe it or not, I didn't eat tomatoes until I was 40! Now I can't get enough of these little heirloom guys. I get them at TJ's too, and I love how you used them here. This would be a husband pleaser in my house!
I wanted to thank you for your sweet comments on our guest post on Dennis' blog. My daughter was really concerned about putting up her essay, but has had such wonderful comments that have put a smile on your face. She read yours about posting more writing and her eyes lit up. Thanks!!

Sabrina said...

yayyy! I'm glad she was happy! It really was a wonderful story! I meant every word!

Hester Chang said...

Hooray for eggs! I love eggs! I don't usually get them poached because they usually come with a fattening sauce I do not like. However, I should just make my own at home since it's not hard to make at all. Thank you so much for sharing an incredibly tasty dish with us :-) Heirloom tomatoes rock, especially the baby ones. I just pop them into my mouth like candy!

Lindsey said...

Yum, this is my kind of recipe! I am in loved with poached eggs now too.

The Duo Dishes said...

Such a simple but hearty breakfast. Honestly, the best part about eating egg with anything is if it's just runny enough to drizzle down your food once pierced. Now that is breakfast of champions.

jeroxie said...

I love heirloom tomatoes. They rock. A simple recipe does it much justice

Chris's Gourmet Fashion said...

So simple, so good, and a great photo too!

Ana Rita said...

Those kind of tomatoes i never tried but they look delicious...Here in Portugal we have a lot of qualities of tomatoe and they are all very good, so i can make this with another type of tomatoe that i find here!

Kisses,
Rita

Courtney said...

I love heirloom tomatoes, going to have to try this! :) Looks delicious.

jsimoes said...

Never thought I'd ever eat a poached egg but you got me hooked with this recipe! Delicious! :)

Stephanie said...

That looks scrumptious! I'm a huge pushover for good eggs and this is something I would totally love to have for breakfast. Great start to a day, for sure! :-)

Adriana said...

My poaching skills are mediocre at best, but your recipe and gorgeous pictures make me want to try again.

freshandfoodie.com said...

This looks great! I love the idea of the tomatoes with the poached egg. Great combo!

Gina said...

Hi Sabrina, fabulous breakfast idea, I'm a huge fan of those baby heirlooms from tj's. Lot's of great recipes on here, can't wait to come back. Have a great week.
-Gina-

Pam said...

I love poached eggs... this dish would be delicious for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. YUM!

Wanna Be A Country Cleaver said...

What a great breakfast!! I love poached eggs as well. I just found your blog and I am hooked already! Can't wait to see what you whip up next! ~Megan

Mother Rimmy said...

I'm with you. I adore breakfast over any other meal of the day. I love your use of heirloom tomatoes. So colorful and refreshing with a creamy poached egg.

Kristi

Torviewtoronto said...

looks wonderful and delicious

Carina said...

Looks delicious! And, because I need to have those carbs, I love that you have it on toast! well done!

Sandra said...

Delicious and so pretty! My kind of breakfast that I can eat for lunch or dinner!:))

Ellie said...

OMG - This looks so great!!! I will be making it this weekend for brunch. Your photos are great. Thanks :)

Sabrina said...

yay!! let me know how they turn out!

thanks to everyone for all their wonderful comments!

The Mom Chef said...

I can just about give a sigh of pleasure just from looking at that picture. I love poached eggs too (heck, I love them any way). Eggs and tomatoes are one of my favorite combinations. Many thanks for this recipe.

 

Design by: Designs by Jamie