Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Sweet Roasted Cauliflower & Brussell Sprouts

When I picked up the package of brussell sprouts at Trader Joe's this weekend I got the craziest look from Eric. A look that only suggests that I am clearly out my mind if I think I am going to cook those for dinner. "I'm not going to eat those!" came from my terrified husband, for he knew that sometime in the near future, he would be putting them into his mouth. Of-course, I am not in the business to torture my husband, I explained to him that they are very good for you and promised I would find a way for him to bear their taste. 


Last night we sat down and Eric ate a whopping 4 brussell sprouts! (I consider this a small victory!) I roasted them along with cauliflower, shallots, and dried cranberries in a sweet balsamic, brown sugar, and rosemary marinade. The vegetables were delicious! I think if I added bacon to the mix, he may have eaten just a few more!


Sweet Roasted Cauliflower & Brussell Sprouts
recipe by Sabrina W. for eat.drink.and be merry.
yields 4 servings
1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
2 cups brussell sprouts, halved
2-3 large shallots, quartered
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped (dried is ok too)
1/3 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 heaping tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon minced garlic
salt & pepper


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.


Add cauliflower, brussells, and shallots into a large mixing bowl. In a measuring cup, add oil, vinegar, rosemary, garlic, and brown sugar. You should have about a 1/2 cup of marinade. Mix together and microwave for 20 to 30 seconds. This will allow the sugar to melt and the flavors to blend. Pour over the vegetables and toss. Spread out on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes. Turn vegetables and add dried cranberries. If you add the cranberries too soon, they get very hard. Continue to roast for another 10 to 15 minutes.  



Enjoy!


click here for a printable version of this recipe

4 comments:

Pam said...

I love roasted veggies... these look really tasty.

Tiffany said...

Oh, I bet the balsamic and brown sugar was just heavenly!

Eftychia said...

Delicious and easy to make! Thanks for sharing!

Healthy Mamma said...

This sounds wonderful! I love brussels, I bet they taste fabulous in this dish. Will try!

 

Design by: Designs by Jamie