Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Mulled Wine

I knew as soon as I tried Mulled Wine a few weekends ago at the Salem Cross Inn, I would most definitely be trying to replicate it. After some research, and whatever I was able to find at the grocery store, I put together this recipe that is pretty close and super easy! You don't have to let it simmer all day or even for an hour.  My Mulled Wine was ready in 15 minutes and it was perfect for entertaining with, especially in January, and in Massachusetts, where the snow just keeps piling up! 


Mulled Wine
recipe by Sabrina W. for eat.drink.and be merry.
yields 16 glasses
2-1.5 liter bottles sweet red wine 
( I used Sutter Home Sweet Red)
1 1/2 cup brandy
1 tablespoon whole cloves
6 cinnamon sticks (plus more for serving)
zest of 1 orange
juice of 3 oranges


In a large stockpot, pour wine and brandy and heat on medium heat. Add zest, juice, cloves, and cinnamon sticks. Stir and let simmer for 15 minutes.  Ladle into wine glasses and serve with a cinnamon stick.


Tips: 

  • You can add more orange juice if the drink seems to strong. Regular orange juice is just fine instead of fresh squeezed.  
  • To avoid ladling cloves into glasses, it might be easier to try putting them in a paper tea filter, or in some kind of strainer you may have, if not just keep an eye out for them. 
  • You can also use any kind of red wine.  I used Sutter Home's Sweet Red so I wouldn't have to bother with adding sugar and finding the right ratio. This wine is sweet enough on its own.

4 comments:

Mary said...

What a perfect drink for a cold and snowy winter day. I hope you have a great evening. Blessings...Mary

MSylvester said...

Do not drive or ride a motorcycle, on the ice after drinking a batch of Mulled Wine. So, put on your PJ's, light the fire and snuggle with lover. Glass of Mulled Wine in hand savoring every bite of your Chocopeno Cookies. Drive? Nah, Your probably are happy right where your at.
Enjoy, "Sly"

Contact Info said...

I have also tried this in a crockpot! Works great to keep warm at parties!! Love mulled wine! Great Blog :)

Dulce Dough said...

I don't think I have ever had mulled wine! I just might have to give this a try!

 

Design by: Designs by Jamie