Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Grammy's Corn Chowder

Since I can remember, my Grammy's Corn Chowder has always been one of my favorites .  Every time I make it, I think of our visits. My Grammy is an excellent cook and I've learned a lot from her. This chowder does not have a heavy, creamy, broth; it is a lighter version, and all though there doesn't seem like there are many ingredients, it is full of flavor. It is perfect on a snowy day like today!


Grammy's Corn Chowder
recipe by JoAnn L. (Grammy)
photo by Sabrina W.
yields 6-8 servings
6 med-small red potatoes, chopped into small bite-sized pieces (I left the skins on)
2-15oz cans sweet whole  kernel corn (do not drain)
32 oz of chicken broth
4 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 1/2 cup half & half, brought to room temperature
salt
pepper
2 pinches of sugar (depending on your taste, I like mine sweet)
3 tablespoons butter


Melt butter in large stove top pan.  Add the onions and celery and sprinkle them with salt. Saute for 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, season them with salt and pepper. Stir and add chicken broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Cook potatoes until fork tender. Remove pot from heat and add the cans of corn, including the juice. (It is very important you use sweet corn, I tried using plain and it didn't have the flavor it should) Stir in the sugar and half and half. Return to med heat and allow to simmer for at least 10 minutes.  Season with more salt and pepper if desired.


click here for a printable version of this recipe

6 comments:

Val said...

Sounds delish! It's so great to blog family recipes that mean the most!! = ))

jsimoes said...

This has always been a favorite of mine, too, and I still make it alot. Thanks Grammy (aka MOM!)

Pass me a bowl...HOLD the snow!

briarrose said...

Yummy....I love the lighter version.

Pam said...

It's very cold here today... this would be so good for dinner.

homestyleworldcook said...

Love this soup. I also love to blog about old family recipes- brings back such good memories ;)
I also have noticed that this type of soup recipe has many variations for broth/base. It's fun to try out the different ones.

Dulce Dough said...

This sounds sooooo gooood! Just what I need on a cold day!

 

Design by: Designs by Jamie