Monday, February 7, 2011

Baked Stuffed Chicken with a Sage, Butter, and Wine Sauce

After viewing our wedding pictures one day, I got myself in the mood for Baked Stuffed Chicken, which was one of our dinner choices at the wedding. (pretty traditional and cliche, but it makes most happy!) It was fabulous at our wedding - very moist, flavorful, and tender. I've never made a traditional baked stuffed chicken before for fear it would come out too dry or mushy. I'm glad I gave it a try, it came out great and I was very proud. To guarantee it didn't come out too dry, I pre-cooked the chicken in a frying pan (just to brown the sides) and I baked it covered in a pan with a little chicken stock on the bottom. To make sure it wasn't too bland, I took a whole wheat stuffing mix and added fresh apples, a shallot, and some dried cranberries.  The sauce came out great as well, and was super easy to whip up as the chicken was baking. I served it with my Perfect Mashed Potatoes

Baked Stuffed Chicken with a Sage, Butter, and Wine Sauce
recipe by Sabrina. W for eat.drink.and be merry
yields 4 servings
4 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, butterflied & pounded thin
1 pkg whole wheat stuffing mix
1 shallot, finely chopped
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 apple, peeled and diced
1/4 cup chicken broth, plus more to cook stuffing mix in (according to box or bag)
1 tablespoon butter
Sage, Butter, and Wine Sauce
1 shallot
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon ground sage
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
pepper
4 tables spoons butter, softened
2 tablespoons flour

for the chicken,

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and add shallot and diced apples.  Saute for 5 to 7 minutes.  Add chicken broth (according to package) and bring to a boil. Add stuffing mix, cover, and remove from heat. Add cranberries and set aside to cool down. Drizzle a frying pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil and heat on med-hi. Salt and pepper both sides of chicken breasts. Top with  each with 1 heaping tablespoon of stuffing, roll up, and secure with toothpicks. Add to pan to lightly brown each side, about 1-2 minutes per side. Transfer to a baking dish.  Pour chicken broth in bottom of pan (not over chicken). Cover with foil and bake in oven for 30 to 35 minutes. Once done, remove foil cover and brown at 400 degrees for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest, covered for 5 minutes before slicing.

for the sauce,

In the same frying pan used for browning the chicken, add a drizzle of olive oil, bring to med-hi heat, and cook shallot until tender. Mix softened butter with flour and set aside. Add wine and scrap up shallots and other bits from the pan. Add chicken stock and spices, stir, and reduce for 5 minutes. Add butter and whisk it into sauce until it has thickened and is well blended. Pour over Baked Stuffed Chicken.



2 comments:

Kim Kelly said...

Sabrina, what a gorgeous dish! I've only attempted a stuffed chicken one time, but I have to say it came out nicely. I peeked at your wedding pics in the "about me" section, and, wow! Beautiful pictures all around. Love little Ruby too!
On another note, you are our CSN Giveaway winner!! email me your email address and I"ll send you the code for the gift card. Congrats!!
1kimkelly at gmail dot com

Dulce Dough said...

Looks yummy! I have never attempted stuffed chicken before!

 

Design by: Designs by Jamie