Saturday, February 5, 2011

Baked Spicy & Smoky Sweet Potato Fries

If you haven't noticed, I LOVE sweet potatoes. So of course I prefer sweet potato fries over regular fries-hands down! They are a perfect side to a nice sandwich, burger, or grilled steak! The fries in this recipe aren't that spicy but it's really up to you how high you want to take the heat. I ate mine with a side of ketchup because that's what I had on hand but a nice sour cream or yogurt based dipping sauce would be great with these. I'll have to get back to you on that!


Baked Spicy & Smoky Sweet Potato Fries
recipe by Sabrina W. for eat.drink.and be merry.
yields 4 servings
2 large sweet potatoes, cleaned with skins left on, and cut into wedges
1 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon pepper
salt to taste
1 teaspoon olive oil


Preheat oven to 450 degrees.


In a small bowl, mix all dry spices together.  Toss potatoes in a large bowl with olive oil.  Make sure to only use a teaspoon.  If you use too much, the potatoes will come out soggy. Sprinkle with dry rub and toss to make sure potatoes are evenly coated. Lay out on a baking sheet lined with foil or cooking spray. Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes. Check on them half way through and stir. If the potatoes are getting too brown, spray with cooking spray.


Enjoy!


for a printable version of this recipe click here

11 comments:

Ana Rita said...

Hi,
I found out your blog in foodbuzz..I'm portuguese and i loved your recipes and the mediterean toucht...

Kiss,

Rita

http://bembons.blogspot.com

theherbedkitchen said...

These are great! Have you tried them with curry mayo? It's a very yummy addition to sweet potato fries, which are my favourite too. White potatoes are so plain!

Sabrina said...

oooo thank you!!!! I will have to try the curry mayo!!

Thanks Ana Rita! I look forward to following your blog!!! I'm always looking to learn new Portuguese recipes!

Georgia (The Comfort of Cooking) said...

Sabrina, you have such an adorable blog and these sweet potato fries look amazingly delicious! We have so much in common, too - I'm originally from Boston, our wedding anniversaries are just a few days apart, and I too have a tiny yellow kitchen, haha. So glad to have found your beautiful blog. Keep up the awesome cooking and writing! :) - Georgia

The White Farmhouse said...

I am going to have to try your rub. I made one similar, but instead of the cumin I used smoked paprika. I just love that stuff! The big thing now with the kids is to make a mix of mayo and ketchup to eat fries with. It's pretty good too.

Maggie @ Vittles and Bits said...

Mmm I love sweet potato fries, these look delish!

Dulce Dough said...

I love sweet potato fries but have never made them myself! Yours look delicious!

Pam said...

They look so good! I love sweet potatoes.

Jessica {The Novice Chef} said...

Love me some sweet potato fries! Yours look great!

Tammy said...

Wow those fries look yummy! I love sweet potato fries. These sound wonderful with all those spices!

Leanne said...

Mmmm these looks so great, Sabrina! I love fries with a passion, except parsnip fries. ick! A great dip with these would be a garlic aoli dip! Totally making these tonight for dinner, I have all the ingredients!

- Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit

 

Design by: Designs by Jamie